2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Feb 2007 01:45:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Ft. Monroe (VA) proposal

Protecting Fort Monroe is at the core of the process

Opinion by State Senator Marty Williams
Newport News Daily Press (VA)
February 3 2007

A number of recent public critiques related to Fort Monroe have contained some factual mistakes. Let me begin by saying I agree with the Daily Press editorial board and share its concerns regarding the reuse of Fort Monroe ("Fort Monroe," Jan. 25). Fort Monroe is a nationally significant historic property, and the commonwealth is indeed presented with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make the right choices for the best future use of this property. This is exactly why we need to make sure we explore all possibilities for its reuse and proceed with care and caution, and along with the support of Virginia's governor I am sponsoring a bill that will accomplish those goals.

We know that environmental contamination exists on, and in the waters surrounding, the Fort Monroe property. The Army is currently conducting an environmental assessment to determine the level of environmental contamination. Once this assessment is completed, we will know the critical next steps needed to protect the health and safety of all who will utilize and enjoy the property in the future.

For the entire column
http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-44313sy0feb03,0,6926005.story?coll=dp-opinion-editorials