1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 1995 07:59:40 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: TEXAS ON CLOSURE CLEANUP/STANDARDS

MORALES BACKS CLEANUP FUNDING, STANDARDS

 On December 29, 1994, Texas Attorney General Dan
Morales sent a letter to Sherri Wasserman Goodman, Deputy
Undersecretary of Defense for Environmental Security, opposing
reported proposed cuts in the Defense cleanup budget and
arguing for strong environmental standards in base closure
cleanup. Morales, a member of the Defense Environmental
Response Task Force (DERTF), submitted his comments for the
Task Force's 1994 Annual Report.

 Morales questioned efforts by the Defense Comptroller's
office to cut Goodman's budget by hundreds of millions of
dollars. He warned, "I firmly believe that it would be unlawful if
it is the case that all of the legal requirements facing the DoD
[Department of Defense] could not be met (as a financial or
budgeting matter) in accordance with Executive Order 12088
(Federal Compliance with Pollution Control Standards (Oct. 10,
1978)) and the many federal facility and state cleanup
agreements entered into in GOOD FAITH by the DoD. While
saving taxpayers' money and ensuring military readiness are
surely critically important objectives, the compliance by DoD
with all applicable laws purposed at protecting our citizens'
health and safety is also extremely important. Unfortunately,
DoD appears to be sliding towards the purposeful disregard of its
cleanup obligations."

 He added that cleanup funding was necessary to protect
service men and women, as well as their families, and historical
victims of environmental injustice. He also warned, "If ... the DoD
and the federal government do not comply with all applicable
cleanup laws, the other entities may begin to question why they
should comply with cleanup laws."

 Morales also addressed issues more directly under
consideration of the task force. He wrote, "As my office has
frequently stated during the DERTF proceedings, attempts to
subsidize economic redevelopment of bases by allowing the
cleanup standards to be loosened may be problematic in the long
run for our communities, citizens, and base transferees, as well
as short-sighted for DoD." He suggested that transfer and
redevelopment of closing bases will be hampered unless DoD
makes "every effort to harmonize, to the extent allowed by law,
its investigative, remedial, and transfer practices with private
sector practices." Morales argued that Federal law NOT be
changed to allow property to be transfered before remedial
actions are conducted. Finally, he asked that DERTF further
review the indemnification of recipients of contaminated, former
military properties.