1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 1995 13:59:17 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Less Documents, More Action

Posting from Mary O'Brien <mob@darkwing.uoregon.edu

Re: Lenny Siegel's piece, "Less Documents, More Action" is helpful, as it
proposes some alternatves to the current paralysis through endless
documentation at clean-up sites.

 His cll for organizing environmental restoration around "rel
world objectives" rather than "deliverable documents" is excellent.
However, I would suggest that those objectives should NOT be "defining
activities," such as characterizing contamination at a specific site.
Insted, they should be "outcomes," e.g., achieving deired reduction in
groundwater contamination. Lenny suggested either of the above as
objectives, but I think outcomes are the important deliverables.

 As those of us who follow the antics of the Forest Service know,
for instance, activities do NOT necessrily correlate with environmental
restoration. In the natme of achieving forest health, the Forest Service
thins forests, salvages forests, burns forests, sprys forests, and builds
roads into forests.

 It's not wise to make busy-ness the mark of accomplishment.

Mary O'Brien
Environmental Research Foundation/Hells Canyon Preservation Council
P.O. Box 12056
Eugene, OR 97440
mob@darkwing.uoregon.edu