1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 12:14:55 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: HEFLEY PROMISES MORE CUTS

KEY SUBCOMMITTEE CHAIR WARNS OF CLEANUP CUTS

 Congressman Joel Hefley (R-Colorado), the new chairman
of the House National Security Subcommittee on Military
Installations, is warning that Congress is likely to cut military
base cleanup funds even more deeply this year. In a February
7, 1995 letter to EPA Administrator Carol Browner, Hefley
"encouraged" EPA to reach a remedy selection agreement at the
Rocky Mountain Arsenal through negotiation.

 Reading between the lines, it appears that Hefley is
suggesting that budget imperatives should drive the
establishment of cleanup goals and remedies, in contradiction
with recent court cases determining that the state of Colorado
could establish cleanup requirements for the Army at the
Arsenal.

 Hefley's subcommittee has tentatively scheduled
environmental hearings for March 24. In the absence of an
outcry from states and communities, including his own,
insisting of adequate cleanup funding, there is no doubt that
the House will indeed slash the President's already low Defense
Environmental Restoration Account proposal for FY1996.

 Here is the text of Hefley's letter. Note that he says the
Arsenal is one of 10,000 sites in the U.S. In fact, it is one of less
than 1,000 active or closing facilities with contamination.
(Lenny Siegel)

 February 7, 1995

The Honorable Carol M. Browner
Administrator
Environmental Protection Agency
401 M Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20460

Dear Ms. Browner:

 As the new chairman of the House National Security
Subcommittee on Military Installations, with jurisdiction for
environmental cleanup work at Defense Department facilities, I
feel it is only fair to give you a heads-up on the budget
prospects for DERA.

 Let me say that I understand your representatives and
the stakeholders are attempting to reach an agreement on the
cleanup of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. I would encourage you
to make every effort to reach your objective through
negotiation. Ongoing disputes, should negotiations fail, will not
be in anyone's best interests. I know that all of you are
committed to an effective and expeditious cleanup so that the
Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge can be fully
established. I wish you well.

 At the same time, I hope you will keep budget realities in
mind as these negotiations proceed. It was just a year ago that
my colleague, Mrs. Schroeder, gave a pessimistic answer to
Judge Richard W. Dana's question on possible funding for the
RMA cleanup. Now, as chairman of the Military Installations
Subcommittee, I have little reason to refute her pessimism. If
anything, increased commitments to balance the federal budget
and to military readiness and the enormous potential budget
impact of environmental cleanup work at federal facilities will
probably make this year's constraints even more severe. I
advise you to keep in mind that federal funding for this and
other Defense Department sites is not unlimited and that the
Arsenal is just one of over 10,000 [sic] DOD contaminated sites
in the U.S. We cannot afford any remedies which are not
entirely cost-effective.

 Last year, Congress cut funding for Defense
Environmental Restoration activities by almost $200 million.
This year's budget request will begin $160 million lower than
last year's actual spending and Congress is likely to impose
even deeper cuts as it reviews that request. Further, there
exists in this Congress a belief that the nation's military
readiness has slipped to a dangerous level and must be
restored. With that overriding priority driving the budget
process, environmental cleanup work will have to find its level
among non-readiness-related items.

 I assure you the subcommittee will follow your efforts
with interest and that the full committee is determined to
make fully informed decisions regarding the appropriate pace,
level and relative priority of environmental cleanup work at
DOD facilities, including the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. I want
you to know that the chairman of the Defense Appropriations
Subcommittee shares my concerns about reasonable and
prudent remediation at this site and others. We will make
every effort to ensure that each federal dollar spent at the
Arsenal provides a cost-effective, demonstrable reduction of
actual - not theoretical - risk to human health and the
environment.

Sincerely,

Joel Hefley
Member of Congress