1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 21:54:35 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: BADGER MILESTONES

BADGER PLANT TO MISS MILESTONES

The Badger Army Ammunition Plant, in south central Wisconsin, should be
a good place to test the recommendations of the Federal Facilities
Environmental Restoration Dialogue Committee (FFERDC). The Army cleanup
program there is falling behind schedule. The Sauk Prairie Eagle
(February 6, 1997) quotes David Fordham, the Commander's
Representative: "By law we cannot commit funds we don't actually have,
even if they are present in the budget. So, the work can't move faster
than we actually receive the funds.... There's no question that we are
not in compliance with the timeline for the clean-up which was in the
plan approved by the state in June 1995. The things we're working on
are in the approved plan, but we are not getting them done consistently."

Mike Netzer, the state regulator for the site, said that at least eight
conditions from the 1995 plan have not been met: "Groundwater studies
in the northeast area of the plant are way overdue. There are serious
problems with the schedule. Virtually none of the schedules within the
plant have been complied with."

Meanwhile, the Eagle reports, community activists report difficulties
getting Army documents when they are submitted to regulatory agencies.
Laura Olah, a member of the Restoration Advisory Board, told the Eagle:
"The documents that have been submitted in the past have not been made
available to the public until it's too late to respond to what's in them."

The Eagle summarized the Army response: "Fordham responded to Olah's
proposal by saying that the plant has complied with disclosure
requirements for final documents." The standard for document
availability, as developed by FFERDC, applies to draft documents as well.

Lenny Siegel