1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 14:28:05 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: BADGER MILESTONES

O.K., once again I am confused. Can somebody answer the question
why the Services can easily, readily, and as a course of dealing,
"commit" to spending millions of dollars to finish construction of buildings
and facilities that will never be used (or, indeed, immediately torn down
after being built, e.g., the $8 million dormitory at Orlando Naval Training
Station finished right before the facility was closed) or to finish weapon
systems that will never be used, but they cannot commit to complying
with laws and regulations intended to protect the health and safety of
our citizens and communities?
 A modest proposal: why don't we get the ten largest defense
contractors to add "Environmental Services" to their respective names,
and then give them environmental cleanup mega-contracts which can be
farmed out to environmental remediation companies. Perhaps then, and
maybe with respect to those ten companies, we will find ways to
"commit" funds to finish environmental remediation projects.