1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Dan L. Alstott" <amacdan@freeway.net>
Date: 09 Jul 1997 12:59:07
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: DOD's ENVIRONMENTAL RECORD

All the excuses aside, I can show you a lake at the headwaters of a world
famous trout stream, the AuSable in Grayling, MI where recent
electrofishing (shocking) to collect fish for pollution analysis, could not
be done because of the number of military duds strewn all over the lake
bottom. These duds got there over decades of National Guard artillery and
mortar firing into the lake for the thrill of seeing geysers. I can
generate little compassion for those who act as "apologists" for the DoD.
They created the problem(s) and they should clean up their messes instead
of doing their traditional "tap dance" that I have seen for more than 10
years as an environmental intervenor in Grayling, MI.

Dan L. Alstott
amacdan@freeway.net