1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Don Zweifel <zweifel@chapman.edu>
Date: 30 Dec 1997 17:38:29
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Boxer seeks phaseout of MTBE

Re: Article from AP Wire Services
Date: 15 Dec. 1997

Sacramento__ One day after USEPA revised its recommended limits for the
gasoline additive methyl tertiary butyl ether in drinking water, Sen.
Barbara Boxer (Ca.) said that she'll ask EPA to invoke emergency powers to
phase out the chemical.

"I think we need to take a time-out here," said Boxer at the conclusion of
hearing at the California state capitol by the US Senate Environment and
Public Works Committee on possible pollution by the said chemical.

"We have enough information in terms of the problems spreading across the
country and in the water supplies," stated Boxer, the only senator present
at the hearing. "I don't want to see us going to court for three, four or
10 to 11 years fighting about who's culpable."

Boxer conceded that EPA administrator Carol Browner might not listen to
her advice, and that even use of emergency powers would probably not lead
to an immediate ban of the compound that critics believe is carcinogenic.

California state lawmakers and environmental scientists have spoken of
growing concerns with groundwater and potable-well water contamination by
MTBE, which is a VOC, a volatile organic compound added to gasoline (11 %
by volume in California-destined fuel) to produce a cleaner-burning gas.

Cynthia Dougherty, director of EPA's Office of Groundwater and Drinking
Water, said that the agency is studying whether this chemical causes
cancer or damage to the central nervous system, but that regulations
reflecting the results might not go into effect for another three years or
by 2001.

In the meantime, EPA has issued a nonbinding advisory suggesting that
keeping concentrations in the range of 20 to 40 ppb, down from 20 to
200ppb, "Will likely avert unpleasant taste and odor effects and will also
protect consumers from potential health problems...."

 -30-

 Don Zweifel
Source: Orange County Register