1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: don@eesi.org
Date: 20 Feb 1998 11:17:35
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Letter of support for Pallone bill

I thought members of the network might find this of interest.

Author: MIME:NDaschle@nrdc.org at INTERNET
Date: 2/13/98 2:57 PM

As many of you know, Congressman Frank Pallone and others have been
working on a Superfund proposal to better protect human health and the
environment. This bill, the "Children's Protection and Community Cleanup
Act,"
is the only proposal in Congress that retains polluter pays, improves
the quality of cleanups, and gives communities real opportunities to
participate. The sponsors plan to introduce the bill the week of February 23.

In the House, three proposals have already been introduced, all of
which roll back existing protections in the Superfund program. It is,
therefore, extremely important that the environmental, public health, and
community groups show strong support for this proposal to strengthen the
program.

Please join NRDC, EDF, and US PIRG on a letter of support for the
Pallone bill. Deadline for sign ons is 12:00 noon, Monday February 23. To add
your
group to the list, please call Nathan Daschle at NRDC, 202/289 2417, or email
him, ndaschle@nrdc.org, and give him the name of the signatory and your
organization.

The letter is in text below.

Thank you for your help.

February XX, 1998

Congressman Frank Pallone Congressman Donald Payne
U.S. House of Representatives U.S. House of
Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515 Washington, D.C. 20515

Congressman John Lewis Congressman Bobby Rush
U.S. House of Representatives U.S. House of
Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515 Washington, D.C. 20515

Congressman Henry Waxman Congresswoman Diana DeGette
U.S. House of Representatives U.S. House of
Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515 Washington, D.C. 20515

Congressman Ed Markey Congressman Maurice Hinchey
U.S. House of Representatives U.S. House of
Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515 Washington, D.C. 20515

Congresswoman Elizabeth Furse
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Representatives:

We are writing to express our strong support for the bill developed by
you and your colleagues to reauthorize the Superfund toxic clean up program,
the "Children's Protection and Community Clean up Act." While other
Superfund proposals have been introduced in this Congress, this bill is
the only one that will preserve the polluter pays principle, protect the
health of children and the environment over the long term, offer affected
communities
real opportunities to participate in the clean up process, and enhance
community right to know.

First, we appreciate your efforts to improve the quality of clean ups
while maintaining the preference for treatment in the remedy selection
process. Unfortunately, treatment (as opposed to stop gap containment)
remedies are currently being used only at selected sites and residential
exposure assumptions are being used in only one third of clean up plans. We
should continue to encourage permanent cleanups wherever practicable and your
bill does so. Furthermore, we believe that any Superfund reform must
recognize
the needs of those especially susceptible to toxic exposure, such as
children,
people highly exposed to toxics, and older people. We strongly support the
provisions in your bill that provide these populations with the necessary
protections.

We likewise support the enhanced community participation measures
provided in your bill. Real participation by the affected community does
more than improve the quality of clean ups, it also helps them proceed more
rapidly. We are especially pleased with your efforts to expand the right to
know about toxics, as well as inadequately tested chemicals, and to provide
communities with the information they need to protect themselves and
participate meaningfully in clean up decisions. We are especially happy to
see that you have addressed growing concerns about environmental justice and
we fully support your proposal to designate "Special Priority Areas" for
priority clean up attention.

In addition, we support your efforts to clarify provisions that protect
innocent landowners and small parties from abusive contribution suits and to
exempt qualified prospective purchasers. Just as important is your bill's
provision removing the exemption from liability for petroleum V a special
interest carveout that allows toxic petroleum releases to remain unaddressed.

The Children's Protection and Community Clean up Act is the first
attempt at Superfund reauthorization that makes common sense changes to the
program while protecting the environment and communities living with the
hazards of toxic waste sites. It deserves, and has, our strong support. We
thank you for your leadership on this very important issue.

Sincerely,