1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Center for Public Environmental Oversight <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:10:17 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Four sort of demil questions...

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:21:44 -0400
From: Peter Schlesinger <pschles@whrc.org>
To: Careerpro List <cpeo@cpeo.org>

Greetings,

Four questions:
Near the Massachusetts Military Reservation (MMR), a number of us are in

the process of becoming more organized and informed. We have heard from
EPA and a blast chamber vendor (Donovan) about the upside of that
technology, and ongoing efforts to bring a portable version of that
system here to deal with cached munitions and other UXO. Can anyone shed

any light on any down sides?

We're currently looking for a copy of an Army Surgeon General Order of
1980 banning open burning of pyrotechnics, dyes, and others. We don't
have the date and have only seen a scant description of that order. If
any one knows where those documents are kept might they let me know.
Thanks.

The National Guard Bureau here claims that MMR's Range Control and other

departments haven't (or can't find) documents relating to the geographic

location/distribution of old munitions caches on the MMR. According to
some sources we've heard from, this is not likely to be correct. Can
anyone corroberate this one way or the other? Does anyone if there are
likely to be copies of old Range Control documents kept off base
somewhere?

Lastly, if there had been an nuclear emergency on the MMR sometime in
the 1970-80's and full containment suits had been required by military
personnel to deal with the release, would this have been necessarily
noted anywhere. Is this the kind of thing that one might request
information about under the Freedom of Information Act?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Schlesinger
--
Peter Schlesinger