1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:23:45 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Four sort of demil questions...

Peter,

I can only reply to your first question. A "potential" downside of this
technology (i.e., using a blast box) is one that can be corrected by
design. The design must overcompensate for all unexploded ordnance that
was potentially used at the site to ensure that the box itself doesn't
blow up. Since the design must "assume" the explosive capacity of the
ordnance, it should be based on pretty good records. (This may lead to
finding an answer to another question of yours.) Another potential
downside is the emmissions from the blast chamber. These are probably
treated by a thermal oxidizer. I don't know what the products of
combustion are for the explosive compounds, but I would make sure that
someone is certain before proceeding with detonation.

Peter Strauss