1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Pam Miller <acat@akcf.org>
Date: 21 Nov 1998 10:46:44
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Biological Warfare Agents (fwd)

Dear All,
We know that Fort Greely and associated Gerstle River Test Site in Interior
Alaska were used for the testing of chemical and biological warfare
materials in 1963-65. We have some source documentation now describing the
particular materials, locations, quantities, and uses.

Stephen Lester of Center for Health, Environment, and Justice wrote a good
article, "Biological Warfare: Experimenting at Home," in their Summer 1998
journal (Volume 16, No. 2). He was part of the National Academy of Sciences
committee to evaluate the impacts of military testing of zinc cadmium
sulphide (ZnCdS) on affected communities. Although they did not focus on
biological warfare materials, Stephan Lester's article provides a summary of
known BW testing areas in the U.S. from the Army publication: U.S. Army
Activity in the U.S. Biological Warfare Programs, V II, 24 February 1977
Unclassified.

If anyone is interested in the specific information we've discovered
concerning BW testing in Alaska, please let me know.

Best regards,
Pamela Miller

Pamela K. Miller, Program Director
Alaska Community Action on Toxics