1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: EPA letter on disbanding Fort Ord RAB

(Despite a history of tension with the Army over substantive cleanup
issues at Ft. Ord, U.S. EPA "has gone along with the Army's decision" to
disband the Restoration Advisory Board there. The following letter from
Dan Opalski, Chief of the EPA Region IX's Federal Facilities Branch,
explains the agency's position. The letter was sent out to each RAB
member.)

Dear [RAB Member]:

I am writing to you as a follow-up to Colonel Devlin's May 12, 1999
letter announcing the Army's decision to disband the Fort Ord
Restoration Advisory Board. I know that many were very disappointed by
the Army's decision and the fact that EPA did not oppose it. I assure
you that we did not take the Army's proposal lightly, and it is with
considerable reluctance that EPA ultimately has gone along with the
Army's decision. I would like to take this opportunity to explain EPA's
perspective on the decision and our views on future community
involvement efforts at Fort Ord.

As you know, the Special RAB process PEA initiated with CONCUR was our
second attempt to provide assistance in overcoming procedural issues
with the RAB and the third attempt overall to use a facilitated process
to improve the RAB's ability to advise the Army on cleanup decisions. At
the request of the RAB, last summer EPA contracted with CONCUR, Inc. to
assess the potential for the RAB to operate more effectively. CONCUR
developed process recommendations to improve the RAB's effectiveness.
CONCUR's recommendations related to commitment to mission,
membership/linkages to community, procedures/ground rules, and
information sharing. Although arrived at through an independent effort,
CONCUR's recommendations were similar to those developed by CAREER/PRO
as part of EPA's first effort to assist the RAB.

CONCUR worked with RAB members over the course of five Special RAB
meetings and numerous subgroup meetings to adopt and implement a mission
statement, ground rules, and membership selection process, consistent
with the recommendations. Despite the efforts and contributions of all
participants, the RAB was unable to make significant progress towards
implementing the recommendations. It is our view that the lack of
resolution of procedural issues would continue to prevent the RAB from
functioning effectively and discussing cleanup issues.

It is time now to look at other mechanisms to ensure effective community
involvement at Fort Ord. EPA is committed to a strengthened community
involvement approach in which Fort Ord communities are informed and
involved, and your concerns are responded to. This will require a
well-planned community involvement effort. EPA will work closely with
the Army as they revise their Community Involvement Plan to make sure
that the concerns of the community are addressed. We want to ensure that
the Army's community involvement efforts promote two-way communication
between members of the public and agencies involved in the cleanup. I
also want to make sure that the community is provided accurate and
timely information about cleanup plans and progress and that you have an
opportunity to express comments on and provide input to technical
decisions. Decisions by the Army, EPA, and the State will be enhanced by
better community involvement.

Thank you for your contributions and commitment to the Fort Ord cleanup
and especially for your participation in the time-intensive Special RAB
process. Through your involvement, you bring a great deal of knowledge
and experience in working with the Army on issues at Fort Ord and we
would very much appreciate any ideas you have for strengthening the
Army's community involvement efforts. We encourage you to stay involved
in future activities at Fort Ord, as your continued involvement is an
important part of ensuring the safe and effective cleanup at the former
Fort Ord. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to
contact ...

Sincerely,

Daniel D. Opalski
Chief, Federal Facilities Branch

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org
(PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE PHASING OUT
MY OLD E-MAIL ADDRESS: lsiegel@igc.org)
http://www.cpeo.org