1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 17:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Sunflower Army Munitions Plant - FOSET

It's my understanding that only the Governor (of Kansas) need approve
the "covenant deferral," or Early Transfer, of the Sunflower Army
Ammunition Plant. U.S. EPA is not directly involved.

That's because Sunflower is not on the "Superfund" National Priorities
List. Its Hazard Ranking Score is high enough, but listing was deferred.
I do not know the intention of those who kept it off the list, but the
consequence was to deny the citizens of Kansas the promise of
independent oversight of the transfer.

Lenny

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org
http://www.cpeo.org