1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: BPS <kutak_r@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:59:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Sunflower Army Munitions Plant - FOSET

The clear import of your comment is that the Kansas Department of Health
and Environment is somehow not capable of "independent oversight." I could
not disagree with that strongly enough. There are certainly an abundance
of instances when USEPA has not covered itself with glory. The suggestion
that only a federal agency, headquartered in Washington with regional
feifdoms , is the only way to get independent oversight of any activity
ignores the record of state regulatory oversight and enforcement. EPA does
an okay job in a lot of areas, but it is not necessarily the best agency
for everything. The record of the relationship between EPA and DoD does
not suggest that EPA is always "independent" of DoD's interests.