1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Rosen, Jeanne A [AMSTA-AR-PSE]" <jrosen@pica.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 17:53:41 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: Off-Base Sampling

	Folks,

		Sampling off post is a very interesting question and we were
faced with a situation here in New Jersey.  I have a question though if
anyone can answer it.  In New Jersey (I don't know if this is a federal law
or state law) if negative results are found, the owner of the property is
bound by law to inform any prospective buyer of this information.  The
problem then becomes this knowledge is dangerous and you have to accept the
consequences if it is negative - - not being able to sell your house.  It is
also a mistake to think a federal facility or probably any company will
assume the cost of cleanup.  The owner will have to prove the contamination
came from who they believe the responsible party is - - the cost of lawyers
and cost of technical experts to prove your case can far exceed the value of
the entire house and could leave you with a huge debt rather than for some
their life's savings (their home).  How is this situation handled else
where?

						Jeanne Rosen