1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: joelf@cape.com (Joel Feigenbaum)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:08:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Vieques Solidarity

Please post to the network.

This is a message of solidarity to the Vieques activists and,through
them,to the people of Vieques. We request other members of the network
express their support and ask their Senators and Representative to contact
President Clinton. Clionton will shortly be deciding on the future of Naval
activity in Vieques.

>Ismael Guadalupe
>Robert Rabin
>Comité Pro Rescate y Desarrollo de Vieques

>Friends:
>
>Activists on Cape Cod living near the Camp Edwards Army National Guard
>artillery ranges wish to express their solidarity with the people of
>Vieques in their courageous effort to stop the Naval bombardment of their
>island and coastal waterways..
>
>Like you, we are surrounded by bodies of salt water and have limited
>resources of drinking water.
>
>After many years of struggle, including demonstrations to block access to
>the military base, EPA called a halt to artillery practice in 1997 so that
>the effect of the bombing could be assessed. That study has proven that
>the use of explosives introduces impermissible levels of cancer causing
>chemicals into goundwater.
>
>Your continued success in stopping the naval bombardment serves to
>strengthen our resolve that artillery practice will never be resumed on
>Cape Cod.
>
>We are calling upon Senators Kennedy and Kerryy and Representative
>Delahunt to ask President Clinton to permanently stop the bombing of
>Vieques.
>
>Joel Feigenbaum
>Richard Hugus
>Paul Zanis