1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: mtptara@ime.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:24:55 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FW: DOD Bill Signing Statement

-----Original Message-----
From:	Young, Corinne [SMTP:Corinne.Young@mail.house.gov]
Sent:	Monday, November 08, 1999 10:34 AM
To:	Anna Aurilio; Brad Campbell; Catherine Walters; Chris Kadas;
Christopher Johns; Gavin, Ann; Lisa Haage; Melinda Cross; Tara Thornton;
Tom Curtis
Subject:	DOD Bill Signing Statement

Was released on Thurs with reference to the rider.  Copy below.

November 4, 1999

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

                              THE WHITE HOUSE

                       Office of the Press Secretary
                          (Hartford, Connecticut)

For Immediate Release                                             November
4, 1999

                        STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

     I have signed into law H.R. 2561, the "Department of Defense
Appropriations Act, 2000."  The bill approves funds to cover the
Department's most critical needs, consistent with my request that reflected
my strong commitment to our Nation's security.

     The bill provides funding for all critical Defense activities -- pay
and other quality of life programs, readiness, and weapons modernization.
In particular, the bill fully funds the key elements of the compensation
initiatives I proposed and that were enacted in the FY 2000 Defense
Authorization Act, including military retirement reform, pay table reform,
and a significant pay increase.  It also fully funds my request for
training, spare parts, equipment maintenance, and base operations -- all
items essential to military readiness.  I am pleased that the bill restores
partial funding for the F-22 fighter aircraft, which is essential to
guaranteeing early air dominance in any future conflict.

     Regrettably, the bill goes beyond what is necessary, providing funding
for a host of unrequested programs at the expense of other core government
activities.  It provides $267.4 billion in discretionary budget authority,
a funding level that is $4.5 billion above my request.  As testified to by
our military chiefs, my budget request correctly addressed our most
important FY 2000 military needs.  Unfortunately, H.R. 2561 resorts to a
number of funding techniques and gimmicks to meet the Appropriations
Subcommittee allocation.  These include:  designating $7.2 billion of
standard operation and maintenance funding as a contingent emergency;
deferring payments to contractors until FY 2001; and incrementally funding
a Navy ship (LHD-8).

     Furthermore, the bill contains several objectionable language
provisions.  I am concerned about section 8074, which contains certain
reporting requirements that could materially interfere with or impede this
country's ability to provide necessary support to another nation or
international organization in connection with peacekeeping or humanitarian
assistance activities otherwise authorized by law.  I will interpret this
provision consistent with my constitutional authority to conduct the
foreign relations of the United States and my responsibilities as Commander
in Chief.

     While I am troubled by a provision requiring the Department of Defense
to seek specific authorization for the payment of fines or penalties for
environmental violations, I will direct the Department to seek such
authorization on any fine or penalty it receives, ensuring full
accountability for all such violations.

     Furthermore, while the provision in section 8174 of the bill prohibits
the Department from contributing funds to the American Heritage Rivers
initiative, I will direct the Department, within existing laws and
authorities, to continue to support and undertake community-oriented
service or environmental projects on rivers I have recognized as part of
the initiative.

     Finally, the bill provides only about one-quarter of the funding level
requested for construction of Forward Operating Locations that would
reestablish regional drug interdiction capabilities in Latin America.  This
amount will not adequately support our vital drug interdiction efforts in
the Western Hemisphere.

     I have signed this bill because, on balance, it demonstrates our
commitment to the military, meets our obligations to the troops, maintains
readiness, and funds modernization efforts that will ensure our
technological edge into the 21st century.

                              WILLIAM J. CLINTON

THE WHITE HOUSE,
    November 4, 1999.
------------------------
Corinne Young
Congressman Bill Delahunt
1317 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

corinne.young@mail.house.gov
www.house.gov/delahunt
202.225.3111 (phone)
202.225.5658 (fax)

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

We've got email newsletters galore!  Check 'em out at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/5