1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: doobage@localnet.com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:36:01 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Natural Attenuation

THE MAN DOTH PROTESTETH TOO MUCH !!

That should be answer enough to support my declaration that the terms on
my list
basiccally fall into the category of NO ACTION (if it walks like a duck,
quacks
like a duck, it certainly is a duck, if I may make bold to use the
vernacular -
probably not "professional", come to think of it). All the terms on my list,
except for Wink and Walk, have been used at one time or another to describe
remedies.

Your brief descriptions below of the terms are correct, and I'm sure the
discussion would become protracted, should I care to pick up on their
inefficacy
as remedial options. But, again from the vernacular, been there, done that -
don't care for a repeat.

Nonetheless I would like to bring the argument of the natural attenuation
proponents to its logical extension. Many years ago before the term natural
attenuation came in vogue, the correct terms of "dilution" and
"dispersion" were
used by a professional contractor to describe the preferred remedy for
trichloroethylene in ground water. ZOUNDS! as a friend of mine would say, the
proposal was bold! And to top this off some exquisite modelling was done to
affirm that indeed the environment, (translation - owners' pockets), would be
better off, if rain water was allowed to soak through the soil and flush,
dilute
and disperse some very high concentrations of TCE. Needless to say
DILUTION and
DISPERSION were defeated. Why? It was too close to NO ACTION and the idea
of us
standing around with our hands in our pockets while the environment was on
greased skids on a downhill slide to hell would have been stomped into the
dirt
by the strong environment movement of the time. Better to accept defeat, lick
wounds and plan for re-emergence. Re-emerge it did, and under the name of
NATURAL ATTENUATION.

But back to my point - and this is the extension to the natural attenuation
argument. If natural attenuation is a viable remedy and the environment
will be
cleansed of all that unwanted "stuff", why not allow tanker trucks containing
high concentrations of TCE waste to pull up to the nearest ground water
recharge
basin or ground water well and start dumping? Natural attenuation will
remedy.

You found my list humorous, but also found it in "error" --- PLEASE! -
thanks,
professor.

Kendrick, Andrew wrote:

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

What's hot at Topica?  Sign up for our "Best New Lists"
newsletter and find out!  http://www.topica.com/t/8