2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: iconsigns@aol.com
Date: 16 Jan 2001 18:44:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] please post

PRESS RELEASE

SAY NO TO FORT ORD TOXIC BURNING!

A gathering of people who oppose the planned burnings of contaminated land
on
the former Fort Ord is to take place on Saturday, January 20, 2001, from 10
am until 12 noon. The event will be at the Ord Military Community Chapel on
General Jim Moore Boulevard, on Fort Ord. This Community gathering will
happen during the time of the Army's Community Open House. Life 2000 is
sponsoring the event.

A growing number of community members are becoming aware of the Army's plans
to burn close to 20,000 acres of land under the disguise of brush removal.
The fact that under the brush lay multitudes of missiles with warheads,
bombs, grenades and other devices created for the purpose of death has been
presented as a minor, benign and barely mentioned detail. People in the area
are becoming more aware of the fact that explosives burned and detonated
release dangerous chemicals that do not completely vaporize. Dioxins, PCB's,
furans, and heavy metals are carried as much as hundreds of miles in the
circling winds all the time falling on the unfortunate that may be downwind.
The result of this kind of exposure is known to cause serious illness,
cancers, birth defects, and death. Illness or death can occur at time of
exposure or some time later.

This gathering is the first of many planned to raise awareness about the
plans by the Army to burn toxic waste. It is also intended to send a clear
message that there are a growing number of stakeholders opposed to the Toxic
Burnings. "Don't take away any of our Birthdays is the theme for the
gathering" said Vienna Merritt Moore, an organizer of the event. "We are
celebrating all the extra birthdays our children and we will have without
the
burnings". Merritt Moore went on to say "Our children are the most
susceptible to this type of poisoning we have to stop this for them". Life
2000 founder, Christine Bettencourt said, "Residual or left over waste has
not been addressed by those in charge. This method of cleanup is a misnomer.
The fires will actually be spreading the toxic waste out across the west
coast."

        #  #  #

    Vienna Merritt Moore
    LIFE 2000