2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: bmolnaa@earthtech.com
Date: 7 Aug 2001 18:41:22 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Irvine Desalter/TCE remediation project

The California definition of an aquifer is more stringent than EPA's. By
requiring TDS to be no more than 3,000 mg/L, the state is ensuring that
drinking water is provided with a TDS of <3,000. The EPA definition of an
aquifer with TDS of no more than 10,000 mg/L ensures that drinking water is
provided with a TDS of <10,000. As a result, the EPA definition of an
aquifer is more liberal than California's.

There isn't much of a difference in the yield requirement.

I also wanted to comment on Doobage's remarks regarding natural
attenuation.
Although we may differ in our beliefs of whether or not natural attenuation
is a viable remedy for sites, I do agree with the comment that "the greater
percentage of natural attenuation remedies nationwide has not observed
those(the EPA's) requirements." I would encourage those in the regulatory
community to be aware of the EPA requirements and adopt them as minimum
standards for evaluating natural attenuation.