2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: jscheck@mv-voice.com
Date: 25 Jan 2002 12:21:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] SF Airport runway mitigation

I'm wondering if anyone can talk a bit about the potential affects of
SFO's new runway plan on the South Bay, and a bit more on mitigation
ideas.

I'm editor of the Mountain View Voice, the local weekly here, and I
found out recently that there's a plan to restore Skaggs Island to
mitigate damage from the SFO runways. I also understand that the
Cargill Salt ponds, under consideration for mitigation in the past, is
slated for restoration by USF&W. Sooo...

I'm wondering whether damage to the South Bay can be mitigated by
restoring an island in the North Bay. Is it the case that the brunt of
the runway damage will be felt by the South Bay ecosystem?

What potential mitigation oppportunities exist in the South Bay other
than Cargill?

Justin Scheck