2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Dori Digenti <ddigenti@hampshire.edu>
Date: 29 Jan 2002 15:14:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] DU Munitions

Hello. I wanted to support Lenny's post on DU munitions use in Iraq and
in general as part of the US arsenal with a small anecdote. I was in a
meeting a few years ago with an MIT professor who had just toured an
advanced army munitions operation, and he was amazed at how high-tech it
was; he said that there was "no credible threat in the world" to US
military capabilities (this was pre-9/11, obviously).

My point is, while tank-destroying DU munitions may be the most
effective, the word "overkill" comes to mind. I'm aware that if one is
on the front lines with incomplete intelligence info about the enemy,
one doesn't want to be unprepared; at the same time, the long-term
devastation of environments with advanced weapons creates another kind
of threat which is even more unpredictable. This discussion goes more to
sustainability than to cleanup, but if we want to make long-term change
in the after-effects of war and military operations on the environment,
I think it does become part of the current discussion. Interested in
hearing more on this topic,

Best,

Dori Digenti
ISIS/Hampshire College