2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Jan 2002 15:45:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Jet Fuel study

Researcher Trying to Link Jet Fuel with Cancer Clusters

Frank X. Mullen Jr.

RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL 1/28/2002 10:39 pm

An Arizona researcher said he plans to investigate whether the Fallon
childhood leukemia cluster can be tied to four other possible cancer
outbreaks near military bases in Arizona and California.

Mark Witten, a research professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the
University of Arizona College of Medicine, is a national expert on JP-8
jet fuel. The fuel, in use at Fallon Naval Air Station since 1993 and
used at military bases in Arizona and California, is among the suspected
environmental causes of the Fallon cancer cluster of 15 children, two of
whom have died.

?Do I think jet fuel is involved somehow? Yes, I do, but I don?t have
scientific proof,? Witten said. ?There is a huge number of environmental
factors in Fallon, including jet fuel, a nearby bomb test in the 1960s,
naturally occurring uranium in the water, arsenic in the water, and
other factors.

He plans to examine jet fuel and other environmental factors in Fallon;
Sierra Vista, Ariz.; Tucson, Ariz.; and two possible cancer outbreaks in
California. All the sites are near military bases and all have jet fuel
pipelines and frequent military jet flights near the homes of the
patients. All the bases use JP-8 fuel.

Copyright © 2002 The Reno Gazette-Journal

For the entire story, see
http://www.rgj.com//news/stories/html/2002/01/28/6891.php

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org