2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Mar 2002 19:49:12 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Nike site to be tested for possible cleanup

Nike site to be tested for possible cleanup
Army Corps dig seeks leaky tanks at 23 local spots

By Liam Ford
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 19, 2002

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers next month will start excavating at a
former Nike missile site on Chicago's south lakefront to find out if
underground tanks left over from the Cold War are leaking fuel there.

The site is one of 23 former missile sites around the Chicago area on a
list for testing and possible cleanup by the Army Corps. The site
exploration comes more than 30 years after Nike missiles were removed
from three places in lakefront parks.

The missiles were stationed around 40 U.S. cities and military
installations in the late 1950s to serve as a defense against air attack
and were removed in the early 1970s after the advent of intercontinental
ballistic missiles.

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/lake/chi-0203190172mar19.story?coll=chi%2Dnewslocallake%2Dhed