2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Apr 2002 23:53:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Aerojet requests expansion of cleanup

[NOTE: THERE ARE TWO STORIES INCLUDED]

CHINO HILLS
Aerojet requests expansion of cleanup
Defense contractor seeks state permission to comb Chino Hills State Park
for unexploded ordnance left as result of years of making high-explosive
munitions.

By David Hermann / david.hermann@latimes.com
CHINO HILLS -- GenCorp Aerojet is asking the state for permission to
sweep for shrapnel and pieces of explosives in nearby Chino Hills State
Park.

"I don't see any real concern to public safety and I think we can do the
work without disturbing the use of the park," Donald Vanderkar, the
company's director of environmental restoration projects, said Thursday.

Vanderkar said he is drafting a formal letter to the state Department of
Parks and Recreation asking for permission to do a surface sweep for
ordnance on a 200-foot deep swath of land along the park's western
border. He said he already made an informal telephone request earlier
this week. "It's just to be safe," he said. "We did sweep the adjoining
private property and did find some ordnance items that had been thrown
out."

When destroying weapons that did not meet government specifications,
plant workers routinely dug five-foot-deep holes and buried and
detonated the material at a 40-acre site. Aerojet has been cleaning up
the area, known as the Open Burn/Open Detonation area, under state
supervision since 1994.
The complete story can be viewed at:
<http://www.latimes.com/tcn/ontario/news/la-iv0021546mar29.story>

ALSO SEE:

Park official backs search for explosives
Superintendent says popular area for bikers and hikers should be safe as
long as users stay on the trails.

By David Hermann
david.hermann@latimes.com

CHINO HILLS -- The superintendent of Chino Hills State Park said Friday
he welcomes a proposed sweep for explosives and shrapnel on park
property.

COMPLETE STORY CAN BE VIEWED AT:
http://www.latimes.com/tcn/ontario/news/la-iv0021569mar30.story