2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 21:28:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CO AG's Comments on Encroachment

[THE FOLLOWING IS A LETTER SENT FROM KEN SALAZAR, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
OF COLORADO, TO CHAIRMAN JOEL HEFLEY.]

April 1, 2002

The Honorable Joel Hefley
Chairman
United States House of Representatives
Committee on Armed Services? Subcommittee
on Military Readiness
2230 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C.    20515-0605

Dear Chairman Hefley:

Thank you for the opportunity to submit written testimony regarding the
impact of environmental regulation on military readiness.  Enclosed are
several pieces of correspondence that the National Association of
Attorneys General has sent over the years.  This correspondence is
indicative of the states' concerns with federal agencies' -- and more
specifically, the Department of Defense's -- compliance with state and
federal environmental laws.  In addition to this correspondence, we
would like the Committee to consider the following observations.

First, we absolutely support maintaining our Nation's military
preparedness.  We recognize that maintaining military readiness requires
that the armed forces receive regular realistic training, and that the
military be able to test and evaluate weapons systems and other military
equipment under realistic conditions.  We also recognize that "external"
factors such as urban and suburban sprawl, have impacted the Department
of Defense's training, testing and evaluation activities.  And we are
aware of isolated cases where requirements imposed under the pollution
control laws may have affected military operations.  At the same time,
we are concerned that DOD's training, testing and evaluation activities
obviously do have environmental impacts.  The question is how to conduct
these activities in a manner that maintains readiness while ensuring
protection of human health and the environment.

The states are the primary implementers of the nation's pollution
control laws.  We think that the existing framework of these laws is
sufficiently flexible to provide for balancing of environmental and
readiness concerns.  There is a great deal of flexibility built in to
the different regulatory programs, as the Department's own testimony has
demonstrated.   As we understand the Department's testimony, it is
concerned about the cumulative impact of environmental, health and
safety restrictions on military readiness, and fears that these impacts
will increase.  However, the environmental laws already allow either the
President or the Secretary of Defense to exempt the Department of
Defense from their statutory and regulatory requirements on a case by
case basis.  All that is required is a finding that doing so is
necessary for national security or is in the paramount interests of the
United States, depending on the particular statute at issue.  Such
exemptions exist under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Resource
Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Comprehensive Environmental
Response, Compensation and Liability Act, and Safe Drinking Water Act.
We understand that to date, these exemption provisions have only been
invoked twice, and neither instance involved military training
activities.

Other provisions of the environmental laws provide further flexibility
to balance environmental protection with other federal priorities.  For
example, in 1992, Congress provided EPA authority to issue
administrative orders under RCRA to other federal agencies, but required
that such agencies have the opportunity to confer with the EPA
administrator before any such order became final.  Congress passed a
similar amendment to the Safe Drinking Water Act.  And Congress has
already spoken to the balance between environmental protection and
management of waste military munitions.  In 1992, Congress rejected a
bill that would have authorized the Secretary of Defense to promulgate
regulations governing the safe development, handling, use,
transportation, and disposal of military munitions.  Instead, it
directed the Environmental Protection Agency to consult with the
Secretary of Defense prior to issuing regulations that define when
military munitions become wastes for purposes of RCRA.

Finally, in 1997, Congress created a procedure that allows the Secretary
of Defense to temporarily suspend any pending administrative action by
another federal agency that the Secretary determines "affects training
or any other readiness activity in a manner that has or would have a
significant adverse effect on the military readiness of any of the armed
forces or a critical component thereof."  During the suspension, the
Secretary and the head of the other federal agency must consult attempt
to mitigate or eliminate the adverse impact of the proposed action on
readiness, consistent with the purpose of the proposed action.

We understand that the Department plans to propose legislative changes
to the environmental laws.  We believe that any such changes should be
considered very carefully.  The history of federal facility compliance
with environmental laws demonstrates that statutory constructs that rely
on voluntary efforts by federal agencies to achieve environmental
objectives simply do not work.  Even when Congress has clearly stated
its intent that federal agencies be subject to state and federal
environmental laws, the federal agencies have frequently resisted
efforts to require them to comply.  The history of the Clean Air Act
provides a good example.  Before 1970, the Clean Air Act encouraged, but
did not require, federal agencies to comply with its mandates.  Congress
determined that this voluntary system was not working, and in 1970
amended the act to require federal agencies to comply.  Specifically,
Congress added section 118 to the Clean Air Act.  The first sentence of
the section provides, in relevant part:

Each department, agency, and instrumentality of . . . the Federal
Government . . . shall comply with Federal, State, interstate, and local
requirements respecting control and abatement of air pollution to the
same extent that any person is subject to such requirements.
42 U.S.C. § 1857f.  The 1970 amendments also required the Environmental
Protection Agency to establish ambient air quality standards.  Each
state had to submit plans describing how the state would meet these
standards.  Kentucky, like most states, submitted a plan that relied on
permits as the sole mechanism to establish emissions limitations for air
pollution sources, and to establish schedules for achieving compliance
with the emissions limitations.  Kentucky sought to require several
federal facilities (including the Army's Fort Knox, Fort Campbell and
others) to obtain permits.  The federal agencies refused, arguing that
section 118 of the Clean Air Act did not obligate them to comply with
"procedural" requirements, such as the need to obtain state permits.
Without the permit, there was no way for Kentucky to control air
pollution from these federal facilities.  The matter went to court, and
ultimately the Supreme Court agreed with the federal agencies.  Shortly
thereafter, Congress amended the Clean Air Act to require federal
agencies to comply with procedural requirements, including permit
requirements.

Even when Congress has plainly required federal agencies to comply with
state and federal environmental laws, the federal agencies have worse
compliance records than private industry.  The sole exception is under
RCRA.  In 1992, the Supreme Court held that federal agencies were not
subject to penalties for violating state hazardous waste and water
quality laws.  That same year, Congress amended RCRA to make federal
agencies subject to penalties for violating hazardous waste laws.  Since
1992, DOD and other federal agencies have steadily improved their RCRA
compliance rates, to the point where they now have a higher compliance
rate than private industry.

This salutary trend stands in stark contrast to federal agency
performance under the Clean Water Act.  Unlike RCRA, Congress has not
amended the Clean Water Act to subject federal agencies to penalties for
violating Clean Water Act requirements.  The percentage of DOD
facilities in significant non-compliance with the Clean Water Act has
steadily risen over time.  Similarly, DOD has long had a higher rate of
significant non-compliance with Clean Water Act requirements than
private industry, or even civilian federal agencies.

Thus, we are concerned that providing the Department of Defense
statutory exemptions from environmental laws will have adverse impacts
on human health and the environment.  But such exemptions will have
other undesirable impacts as well: substantially increased costs to
"remedy" environmental contamination, and greater constraints on use of
training ranges.  As we stated in our May 31, 2001 letter regarding
encroachment, prevention is by far the most effective and least costly
means of ensuring environmental protection.  It also is a necessary
component of sustainable range management.  The Department, and the
nation, cannot afford to repeat the experience at the Massachusetts
Military Reservation (MMR) at other ranges around the country.  There,
decades of  military training activities have contaminated over 60
billion gallons of groundwater in the sole source aquifer for Cape Cod.
This contamination led EPA to suspend most live-fire military training
at the MMR artillery range pursuant to its Safe Drinking Water Act
authority.  Subsequently, the state of Massachusetts and the Army
reached an agreement, now embodied in state law, that balances military
training needs and environmental protection.  The plain lesson here is
that ignoring environmental consequences of military training benefits
neither the environment, public health, nor military training.

In conclusion, resolving the increasing pressures on military training
activities in a manner that protects human health and the environment,
while ensuring military readiness, demands creative thinking.  The
issues involved are many and complex.  They would benefit from an open
discussion among a full range of affected parties.  The states, as the
primary implementers of the nation's environmental laws, must play a key
role in arriving at any solutions.  We thank the Committee for this
opportunity to express our views.

Ken Salazar
Attorney General of Colorado
NAAG, Chair
Environment Committee

[THIS DOCUMENT CAN ALSO BE DOWNLOADED AT:
http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/salazar%204-01-02%20letter.doc]