2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Apr 2002 21:30:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Lead Levels

POSTED BY James Woolford (Woolford.James@epamail.epa.gov)]

The reply posted that says the EPA cleanup level for residential under
Superfund is 400 ppm is not  correct.   The 400 ppm is a soil screening
level, not a cleanup level.   We use the 400 ppm essentially to decide
whether to go forward with further site characterization.   As part of
our evaluation we run the results through a model (the IEUBK) to
determine the risk and the appropriate cleanup level based on the
Superfund risk range.   Consequently, due to site differences one could
have a cleanup level of 300 ppm, 400 ppm,  500 ppm or higher.

James Woolford
Director - Federal Facilities Restoration and Reuse Office
Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (MC - 5106)
US EPA
1200 Penn. Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20460

(202) 260-9924 - office phone