2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Apr 2002 21:30:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] letter about Roscoe Bartlett's comments

Pasted below is a letter from Jim Werner <jim@wernerbird.com>, former
Energy Department official, to Jim Stanton, the reporter who has been
covering Congressman Roscoe Bartlett's recent comments on cleanup.

April 18, 2002

Dear Mr. Stanton:

I understand that you have been covering the story about Roscoe
Bartlett. I was a US Energy Department official for 8 years, and Mr.
Bartlett's recent comments were not new to me. He made similar comments
at Congressional hearings about our sites ("just plants trees and come
back after 50 years and it will be all cleaned up" - despite half lives
for many of our waste of thousands of years) in 1994-1998 that I recall.

One factual comment (if it matters): cleanup is NOT generally done to
pristine levels. In fact DOE and other federal agencies have explicitly
acknowledged that cleanup cannot and will not be done to pristine
levels, and regulators have virtually never required it. I don't know
where Bartlett gets his "facts" but I've been doing waste cleanup
professionally for more than 20 years, and I've have never seen that to
be the case.

See e.g.,

http://ndep.state.nv.us/lts/states.htm

http://ndep.state.nv.us/lts/close/circle.htm