2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Apr 2002 21:48:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Lead and risk

[POSTED BY Ted Henry (KC2TH@aol.com)]

With regard to the risks from lead, remember that lead effects have been
found at such low concentrations that is is questionable whether there
is even a threshold for this compound - meaning that any exposure is
probably associated with an elevated risk of adverse effects.

I do not believe that there is a reference dose for inhalation exposure,
but this should not be construed as meaning this exposure pathway is
unimportant.

On a risk based level, note that EPA Region III RBC tables (1996) note
that "if EPA did develop a reference dose for lead by the same methods
used for other reference doses, we would probably find that most people
already exceed it."

So, we should understand that while 400 ppm is the residential soil
number, this is not strictly driven by science.

Ted Henry