2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Mark F. Bohne" <hilltop@lrbcg.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 14:48:13 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Pentagon Environmental Proposals

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaacQXaVxieSa3Z0qoa/TopOffers

In the discussion concerning environmental changes to benefit the
military, I think it's important to note that, for the most part, "minor
modifications" to the law generally benefit the polluter and not the
environment. It seems that when a new piece of environmental legislation
passes, the polluters immediately begin to dissect it, seeking the
"weasel words" that allow them to bypass the true intent of the law. In
the absence of loopholes, they then seek to "tweak" the law to their own
gain.

Waxing philosophical, the Good Lord gave us a pristine world in which to
live. Due to regrettable errors on our part, we have contaminated the
free gifts of clean air, water, and soil that were endowed upon us. We
are to care for the environment, not selfishly use it up. Instead of
having to legislate a clean environment, it should be second nature for
us all to protect and nurture it.

America is the greatest nation on the face of this planet. We should set
the standard for all others to follow. Our elected officials should not
protect those who would pollute and they should not ignore (or harass)
those who would speak-out in defense of the environment. A government
"by the people and for the people" has a mandate to protect those
natural resources that are free for all to enjoy and certainly must
listen to the wise counsel we share concerning their protection.

Mark F. Bohne
Milan, Ohio