2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 May 2002 07:13:33 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EPA and national secrets

[This came from another list that I'm on. Anyone know what it means? - Lenny]

Subject: [ctw] White House gives EPA new secrecy powers
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:34:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul Orum <paul_orum@yahoo.com>
To: "Community Toxics Watch" <ctw@lyris.ombwatch.org>

In today's Federal Register (below), the White House
gives EPA new authority to declare information secret.
This suggests that the White House believes EPA holds
information that should be classified as national
security information.  I wonder what they have in
mind?

-- Paul Orum

[***]

[Federal Register: May 9, 2002 (Volume 67, Number 90)]
[Presidential Documents]
[Page 31109]

Presidential Documents

Order of May 6, 2002

Designation Under Executive Order 12958

In accordance with the provisions of section 1.4 of
Executive Order 12958 of April 17, 1995, entitled
''Classified National Security Information,'' I hereby
designate the Administrator of the Environmental
Protection Agency to classify information originally
as ''Secret.''

Any delegation of this authority shall be in
accordance with section 1.4(c) of Executive Order
12958.

This order shall be published in the Federal Register.

(Presidential Sig.)B

THE WHITE HOUSE,

May 6, 2002.

[FR Doc. 02-11782
Filed 5-8-02; 8:45 am]
Billing code 3195-01-P

=====
Working Group on Community Right-to-Know
218 D Street, SE; Washington, DC 20003
Phone: 202-544-9586; Fax: 202-546-2461