2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 May 2002 19:20:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Navy plan restricts access to shoreline

Navy plan restricts access to shoreline

By Jan TenBruggencate
Advertiser Kaua'i Bureau

WAIMEA, Kaua'i ? Navy officials are planning permanent restrictions to
public shoreline access at the Pacific Missile Range Facility, to the
dismay of residents and in apparent violation of the agreement under
which the military got the land.

A Navy spokeswoman said the service has no intention of re-establishing
the kind of wide-open access that has been in place for most of the past
50 years for fishing, camping, surfing and other beach activities.

"I don't think we're ever going back to what we had at Sept. 10," Lt.
Cmdr. Jane Campbell said. "There are a couple of plans in review right
now to try to do the best that we can to do a workable, feasible"
solution.

While the Navy will not release complete plan details until it has met
privately with the mayor and County Council on Tuesday evening, she said
one plan goes this way: The beaches would be entirely closed on
weekdays. On weekends and holidays, people who have passed background
checks would be able to arrive at the front gate, and take a county bus
? if the county agrees to provide it ? to specific shoreline areas.

There would be quotas for "safe and allowable numbers for being on the
beach at any one time," Campbell said.

She said the Navy does not foresee opening lateral beach access ? that
is, letting people gain access from the beaches on both sides of the
base, without needing to cross base property.

The proposed restrictions may violate the agreements under which the
military gained access to the land from the Territory of Hawai'i. One
requirement, dating back to the 1940s, is that fishing access could only
be restricted when bombing was under way or about to commence, said
Debbie Ward, of the state Department of Land and Natural Resources.

This article can be viewed in its entirety at:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/May/26/ln/ln07a.html