2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 14:47:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Toxic talk resumes with new NAS study

[Massachusetts]
Toxic talk resumes with new NAS study
By Patrick J. Cronin / pcronin@cnc.com
Friday, November 22, 2002
DPW will look at cases of Multiple Sclerosis

Rockland resident Liz Tomolillo is one of many residents who is looking
forward to a new study to see if there are an abnormal number of
residents living near the South Weymouth Navy Air base with Multiple
Sclerosis.

"I think it's great," said Tomolillo, who was diagnosed with Multiple
Sclerosis two years ago. "I know a lot of people in this area who have
Multiple Sclerosis. Everything is caused by something. I don't believe
you just get diseases like this."

The state's Department of Public Health (DPH) recently announced it
received a $200,000 grant from the U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and
Disease registry to conduct the study. Next month, investigators from
the DPH will begin a two-year effort to identify local cases of Multiple
Sclerosis and determine whether they could be related to several toxic
waste sites located near the former naval base. They will also
concentrate their efforts in Middleboro, where some residents have
indicated they believe Lou Gehrig's disease is occurring at a higher
rate than normal.

This will be the third major study on the effect of contamination from
the base.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.townonline.com/abington/news/local_regional/abi_newarmsstudy11222002.htm