2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 17:31:46 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Bill intended to help keep bases strong

Texas
Bill intended to help keep bases strong
Gary Scharrer
Austin Bureau
Eliot Shapleigh

AUSTIN -- Fort Bliss and El Paso stand to benefit if Texas voters later
this year approve a $250 million bond issue to help enhance the value of
military bases under legislation by Sen. Eliot Shapleigh, D-El Paso.

The Texas Military Preparedness Act would help communities borrow money
to improve roads and rail lines serving the state's 18 military bases
and posts and other infrastructure projects, including a water
desalination plant at Fort Bliss.

"We in Texas need to strengthen our military bases and make an
investment to keep them strong and to keep them in Texas," Shapleigh
said Wednesday. "Our military bases are like having 1,000 Toyota
factories," considering their employment and economic impact.

Speaking at a Texas Military Appreciation Ceremony on Wednesday, Gov.
Rick Perry said the state's military bases contribute $40 billion a year
to the state's economy.

[....]

The bill also recommends that Texas form a state agency responsible for
statewide military bases. It would also help communities keep
residential and commercial development from creeping too close to
military training grounds.

This article can be viewed in its entirety at:
http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/borderland/20030213-75774.shtml