2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Nov 2003 16:58:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Ravenna GFPR and "Response Complete"

One of the Army facilities where the milestone status of a Guaranteed
Fixed Price Remediation (GFPR) contract is controversial is the Ravenna
Army Ammunition Plant, in Ohio. It's my understanding that the Army
plans to conduct remediation at Ravenna under a GFPR contract, but that
it plans (or at least planned) to declare the Response Complete at four
Load Lines without characterizing and removing potential explosive
contamination underneath building slabs.

After the property is transferred to the Ohio National Guard, the Guard
plans to remove the slabs to create a tank-training driving course. The
Army agrees that additional remediation may be necessary at that point,
but it does not expect it to be funded as part of remediation activity.
One potential source of funding is construction money for that training facility.

The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency has taken a firm position that
a remedy which does not address potential subslab contamination is an
Interim Remedy, and its officials remain concerned that the Defense
Department, at a policy level, has not yet taken a clear position
limiting Response Complete determinations at such sites.

Lenny