2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Dec 2003 17:26:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Study shows military post does not pose health risk

Virginia
THE VIRGINIA-PILOT
Study shows military post does not pose health risk
December 5, 2003

SUFFOLK — The former Nansemond Ordnance Depot, which today includes a
college campus and is the subject of a toxic cleanup, does not pose
significant health risks to students, neighboring residents or
businesses, a long-awaited federal study concludes.

The report by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry,
released at a public meeting Thursday night, answers several nagging and
potentially scary questions about the old military post, which handled
chemical and conventional weapons during World Wars I and II.

For one, investigators said they did not believe former employees or
students at the Tidewater Community College got sick from drinking water
pulled from tainted groundwater on the property.

Noting that contaminants continued to plague groundwater sources
throughout the 975-acre site, located on the busy I-664 corridor between
Suffolk and Portsmouth, the study said past exposure was “too low to
result in adverse health effects.”

The campus started supplying bottled water to staff members in 1994 and
then connected to a city water line a year later, after tests that
showed traces of lead and the explosive TNT in several samples.

This article can be viewed at:
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=63191&ran=87345