2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Apr 2004 14:50:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Lakehurst (NJ) Encroachment

Your opinion counts! We're conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6PiaVxieSa8wsBba/ Val Rad
County Bids to Buy Land Bordering Navy Base

By JOSEPH PICARD
Asbury Park Press (NJ) Toms River Bureau
April 12, 2004

MANCHESTER -- Ocean County Freeholder John P. Kelly is trying to form a
coalition to buy land in the "golden triangle."

The triangle is a wooded area in Manchester bounded by Routes 547 and
571 and Ridgeway Boulevard next to Naval Air Engineering Station
Lakehurst. The area has been given that nickname by developers because
of its desirability and potential.

But the Ocean County freeholders, led by Kelly, have appropriated $6
million in this year's budget toward buying 244 acres in the triangle to
prevent proposed development there.

"Residential development in that area, which has already been approved
by the Manchester Township Planning Board, would create encroachment on
Navy Lakehurst, which could mean bad news for the base and for Ocean
County during the next round of BRAC Commission hearings," Kelly said.

The federal Base Realignment and Closure, or BRAC, Commission is due to
make more determinations in 2005 on which U.S. military bases are
obsolete and should be closed. County and local officials oppose
shutting down the Lakehurst base, which is the county's largest
employer, with 3,200 civilian workers.

for the entire story, see
http://www.injersey.com/app/story/0,21625,942826,00.html

Thanks to the ICMA Military List for finding this article.

http://click.topica.com/caab6PVaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Val Rad