2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Apr 2004 21:19:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Lakehurst (NJ) Encroachment

Your opinion counts! We're conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6PVaVxieSa8wsBba/ Val Rad
Kenneth Shuster of EPA sent the following background information:

"Yes, the use of Lakehurst for chemical warfare testing during WWI is
well documented in the American University Experiment Station (the WWI
Chemical Warfare Service HQ) archives at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO and
Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD.  The archives reports document the tests
and chemicals tested there.

"It is also discussed in the 1921 book Chemical Warfare by BG Amos
Fries, and MAJ Clarence West: "The Proving Division had its origin in
the decision to build an Experimental Ground for gas warfare...While
this decision was reached about September, 1917, actual work on the
final location (Lakehurst, N. J.) was not started until March 26, 1918,
and the construction work was not completed until August 1, 1918.
However, firing trials were started on April 25, 1918, and in all 82
were carried out." [pg 63).  Then it goes into details on the types of
tests.  This reference says the testing came to an end at the end of the war."

> I received this in response to the Lakehurst article. I would be
> interested in knowing if anyone has any documentation about this. - LS
>
> Lenny,
>
> "I don't know if any of these folks know this or not but Lakehurst was
> until the mid-1920's the Army's Chemical Weapons Proving Grounds!  No
> clean-up efforts have ever been conducted there, and based on historical
> information this area was used heavily during the WW1 timeframe."

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caab8LhaVxieSa8wsBbf/ GoDaddy