2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Apr 2004 23:50:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: munitions fill

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4
No Account or Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees
Automatically invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caab6aCaVxieSa8wsBba/ Sharebuilder

In the discussion of the regulation of toxic munitions constituents,
I've always focused on explosives (such as RDX), propellants (such as
perchlorate), chemical agent, and heavy metals (including lead and
depleted uranium. However, I just received a document that suggests that
many munitions contain other toxic substances.

The document is the "RCRA Facility Assessment, Edgewood Area, Aberdeen
Proving Ground," No. 39-26-0490-90, prepared for the United States Army
Environmental Hygiene Agency by Gary Nemeth, November, 1989.

It explains that incendiary munitions contain chemicals such as carbon
bisulfide, turpentine, kerosene, and benzene. Smoke munitions may
contain zinc, carbon tetrachloride, hexachloroethane, and
1,2,-dichloroethane. Numerous other toxic substances are found in simulants.

While I doubt that these chemicals exist on any range in great
quantities, I am concerned that the Defense Department might claim
exemptions, if its legislative proposals survive, for the same chemicals
if released through non-range activities on or near ranges.

Lenny

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caab595aVxieSa8wsBbf/ Children's Int'l