2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 May 2004 19:31:46 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Ft. Ord compared to Ft. McClellan

Looking for a Promotional or Marketing Gift? Discover
Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's
the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy
customized with your corporate image!
http://click.topica.com/caaceBcaVxieSa8wsBba/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Alabama base cleanup quite a different scene
Lack of Superfund status, going it alone aided Fort McClellan's quick closure

By SUKHJIT PUREWAL
Monterey Herald
May 24, 2004

Two sprawling forts, 2,000 miles apart. One closed in 1994, the other
five years later. But the second shuttered Army base, Fort McClellan in
Anniston, Ala., seems to be light years ahead of the first, Fort Ord, in
the speed of its cleanup.

Among the differences, according to people directly involved in both
redevelopment efforts, is that the Alabamans chose to essentially go it
alone. They coaxed a pot of money, $48.5 million, away from the Defense
Department and are removing the buried ordnance and other contaminants themselves.

Another key difference is that Fort McClellan escaped the dubious
distinction of being declared a federal Superfund site, a designation
reserved for the nation's most problematic environmental clean-up
challenges. Along with the name comes significantly more red tape, more
layers of bureaucracy and monitoring by the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency.

Heading the McClellan redevelopment work is the Anniston Joint Powers
Authority, which, like the Fort Ord Reuse Authority, is made up of
representatives of various local agencies. The smaller Anniston group
believes it can finance the removal of ordnance from 4,600 acres there
with the money received last year from the federal government.

"We think we can do it cheaper and quicker than they can," said Dan
Cleckler, executive director of the Anniston group.

for the entire article, see
http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/local/8744036.htm

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacf0DaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Discover Card