2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 May 2004 22:27:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Outlying Landing Field opposed

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caaccMMaVxieSa8wsBba/ Sharebuilder

OLF impact to be negative

North Carolina shouldn't have to be Virginia's dumping ground

Opinion
Charlotte Observer (NC)
May 27, 2004

From Philip Lange of Edenton, an organizer of Albemarle Community
Network, which opposes the Navy's plan for a outlying landing field
(OLF) in Washington and Beaufort counties near the Pocosin Lakes
National Wildlife Refuge.

Jimmy Sanders, in speaking for Allies for Cherry Point's Tomorrow
(Feedback, May 24), has advanced several flawed arguments against those
who oppose the currently selected site for the OLF.

First: It is not U.S. District Judge Terrence Boyle's job to "appreciate
the importance" of anything. His sworn duty is to uphold the law. His
well-cited order on the request for a temporary injunction makes it very
clear this is what he has done.

Second: The purpose of the OLF is not to "support the brave men and
women who serve in our military," as he has implied, but, according to
the Navy's own documents, "Existing facilities at NAS Oceana and NALF
Fentress were found to meet all the operational requirements to support
the ... Super Hornet squadrons. However, the construction and operation
of an additional OLF enhances operational flexibility and quality of
life and provides important noise and population encroachment mitigation
at NAS Oceana and NALF Fentress."

for the entire column, see
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/opinion/8770015.htm?1c

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacf0DaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Discover Card