2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 Aug 2004 18:55:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Former Tobyhanna Range

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caacvggaVxieSbnA7rua/Sharebuilder

Some questions came up in response to my original (July 30, 2004) report
on the Tobyhanna Artillery Range (quoted below).

First and foremost, it should be clear that there is no suggestion that
the developer of the residential development at Lake Watawga has done
anything wrong.

Second, requests to local officials to defer development were informal.
This reinforces the lesson that there needs to be a better way to
coordinate health and safety concerns into development decisions.

Third, though fire-fighting organizations responsible for suppressing
forest fires have declared a non-suppression zone around the FUDS, the
local file department still responds to fires within the residential subdivision.

Lenny

Lenny Siegel wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 I toured the former Tobyhanna Artillery Range,
> a Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS) in northeastern Pennsylvania. Below
> is a brief summary of what I learned from my visit and background
> documents. For more information on the Tobyhanna FUDS, see http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/remserv/Tobyhanna/Tobyhanna.htm.
>
> The Tobyhanna Artillery Range was an active military installation from
> 1912 until 1949, when most of the property was transferred to the
> Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It served as an artillery range and impact
> area during World War I (1914 - 1918) and again at the beginning of
> World War II (1937 - 1941). Ordnance fired at the site included 37-mm,
> 75-mm, and 155-mm conventional munitions.
>
> Today, most of the FUDS is comprised of the 7000-acre Tobyhanna State
> Park and 14,000 acres of State Gamelands. Tucked into a corner of the
> FUDS is the still active 1300-acre Tobyhanna Army Depot, which is on the
> "Superfund" National Priorities List. Though it has ordnance
> contamination as well, its principal environmental challenge is
> groundwater polluted with trichloroethylene.
>
> Though most of the land was deforested during its use as an Army Range,
> most of the park and gamelands are now covered with a thirty-foot canopy
> of deciduous forest.
>
> In 1997-98, the Baltimore District of the Army Corps or Engineers and
> its contractor conducted a time-critical unexploded ordnance removal
> action at the Tobyhanna State Park. 274 items, primarily 37-mm
> projectiles, were removed from camping and picnic areas, a boat ramp,
> and trails.
>
> Though they covered a small portion of the range, they concluded that
> budget limits would prevent them from conducting further activities
> until about 2016. Concerned about this risk to visitors, the
> Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) stepped up to
> the plate, promising more than $3 million from its Hazardous Sites
> Cleanup Fund to carry out an EE/CA (Engineering Evaluation/Cost
> Analysis). In early 2003 DEP negotiated a unique partnership with the
> Army Corps, not only to conduct the EE/CA, but to ensure that it would
> be sufficient to support future Army-funded cleanup.
>
> Since then, the EE/CA has evolved into a Remedial
> Investigation/Feasibility Study (RI/FS), with the Corps agreeing to fund
> additional requirements, such as an explosive risk analysis. I was
> unable to determine, however, what methodology will guide that risk
> analysis. The partnership and its contractor, Weston Solutions, are
> using grid, transect, and meandering path sampling to cover about 2% of
> the entire FUDS. They will also sample for common explosive
> constituents. The purpose of the RI/FS is to develop, with the help of
> public comment, "a comprehensive removal and cleanup project in the near future."
>
> When Corps representatives visited Tobyhanna in April, 2003, they found
> [...]

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacvglaVxieSbnA7ruf/AARP