2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Oct 2004 00:33:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Hanford waste ballot initiative

I-297 would restrict new Hanford waste

Backers seek thorough cleanup; foes call proposal 'unnecessary'

By LISA STIFFLER
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
October 18, 2004

Supporters of Initiative 297 state their case simply: Nuclear waste is bad, and it's really bad to have it leaking into the soil and groundwater near the state's largest river.

If passed by a majority of voters, I-297 will stop the federal government from importing and dumping new radioactive and chemically dangerous waste at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation until existing messes are cleaned up.

The measure on the Nov. 2 ballot also includes rules to prevent the government from ducking the thorough cleanup of giant underground waste tanks that have leaked harmful chemicals into the ground at the sprawling Eastern Washington site.

"It's in everyone's interest to do more cleanup, as the initiative would ensure," said Gerald Pollet, executive director of the Hanford watchdog group Heart of America Northwest and leader of the Yes on I-297 campaign.

for the entire article, see
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/195675_hanford18.html