2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Nov 2004 07:21:26 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] [Fwd: Lenny, please post MothersForPeace comments to list]

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:26:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Sheila Baker <shebikes4mother@yahoo.com>
To: lsiegel@cpeo.org

Lenny, Please post this San Luis Obispo Mothers For
Peace comment to the Missile Defense Agency on the
proposed expansion of space based weapons and missile
defense.  Thanks, Sheila Baker

San Luis Obispo

P.O. Box 164
Pismo Beach, CA 93448
(805)773-3881
www.mothersforpeace.org

November 8, 2004

MDA BMDS PEIS
c/o ICF Consulting
9300 Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031

Comment regarding the Draft Ballistic Missile Defense
Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (BMC PEIS)

I am writing on behalf of the San Luis Obispo Mothers
for Peace, a peace and environmental organization on
the Central Coast of California. One of our major
concerns is the proximity of the missile defense base
and Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plants (DCNPP) and its
associated activity.

Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB), a deployment base
for ground-based midcourse missile defense system
(GMD), is within 50 miles of DCNPP. Both VAFB and
DCNPP went on high alert just after September 11, 2001
and, again, after the start of the Iraq War. This
indicates that both entities are subject to attack
from sources unfriendly to the United States. This
also leads citizens to believe that the Central Coast
is not secure from terrorism. Thus, the proximity of
these two sites are disturbing.

In the event that Yucca Mountain should become the
national repository for nuclear waste, DCNPP would
begin shipping high level radioactive waste in 2017
from Port San Luis to a BMD Aegis Destroyer Naval
Base, Port Hueneme, past VAFB. We believe that the
risk of terrorist attack is magnified by its proximity
to VAFB and its destination to Port Hueneme.

The public is offered three alternatives to the PEIS
BMD system. This comment does not direct preference to
any of these alternatives; it argues that any missile
defense system activity so close to a nuclear power
plant creates unacceptable risk.

Sincerely,
Jill ZamEk

San Luis Obispo Mothers for Peace