2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Date: 18 Jan 2005 18:24:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Army perspective on Eagle River settlement

ARMY SETTLES EAGLE RIVER FLATS LAWSUIT

Army News Service
Environmental Update (U.S. Army Environmental Center)
Winter 2005

The Army announced Oct. 27 that a legal settlement will allow training
to continue at Eagle River Flats on Fort Richardson, Alaska, 13 miles
north of Anchorage.

The Army has used the mortar and artillery range for about 40 years.

U.S. Army Alaska Commander Brig. Gen. James T. Hirai noted that the use
of the range is crucial to the Army's efforts in the global war on
terrorism.

"Our mission is to train Soldiers for combat. While doing that, we
continue to make every effort to be good stewards of our training
lands," said Hirai. "It's never an easy task, but it's one we take very
seriously."

A lawsuit filed by environmental groups, the Chickaloon Tribe and
individual citizens in June 2001, alleged the Army was in violation of
the Clean Water Act, the Solid Waste Disposal Act (also known as the
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, or RCRA), and the Comprehensive
Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (also known as
the Superfund law).

http://aec.army.mil/usaec/publicaffairs/update/win05/win0505.html

In October we posted the plaintiffs' announcement:
http://www.cpeo.org/lists/military/2004/msg00912.html