2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Feb 2005 17:23:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Yuma Proving Ground

[I have no way of knowing whether the lists described in this article
have any basis in fact. If however, the Yuma Proving Ground is closed,
it will pose a significant environmental challenge. Yuma is an ordnance
testing center, similar to the former Jefferson Proving Ground (JPG), in
southern Indiana. When I was briefed on Yuma's practices several years
ago, the facility had the policy of creating new target areas when old
ones became too contaminated with unexploded ordnance to fulfill their
mission. As I have written before, the Army has a policy - thus far not
documented publicly - that it won't spend money cleaning up the JPG
impact area. If Yuma is closed, I fear it will have the same fate. - LS]

Yuma's Proving Ground included on unofficial base-closure lists

Billy House and David Madrid
The Arizona Republic
February 25, 2005

The Army's Proving Ground in Yuma is among military installations being
targeted for closure by the Pentagon, according to unofficial short
lists circulating within Congress and among defense contractors.

The state's four other military installations, Luke Air Force Base near
Glendale, Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in
Tucson and the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, are not on the lists.

State and local officials reacted with surprise, horror and skepticism
to news that the Yuma facility appeared on various base-closure lists
being circulated in Washington, D.C.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0225baseclosure-yuma.html