2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Stella Bourassa" <Stellalogic@cfl.rr.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2005 17:13:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Perchlorate not to be listed under California's "Prop 65":

I had a thought after reading the postings regarding this issue - it's not
just a California issue but a national one.  Those who are saying 'there is
no proof' about the physical harm and dangers to human health by such
chemicals should truly 'prove this' to those who have lived with it.  How
about those disregarding the dangers drinking and eating and living on top
of these polluted sites?  No, not just for a week or a year but going out
and buying a home right smack dab in the center of these sites!  'Kinda'
like putting your money where your mouth is.

I remember well using this same type argument when I was a RAB member for
the Camp Bonneville base closure and being told 'it wasn't really that bad'
out there and it was a small section of impact-which is not what the
documentation was telling me.  So I challenge all those who said these
words - 'then why don't you go out there and walk around?  Why is it
completely fenced off?  Would you let your family 'freely' roam around out
there minus the impact area?'

It's a sadly funny fact that when something becomes 'personal' that the
attitudes change.

Stella