2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Aug 2005 18:24:45 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Sasn Martin perchlorate lawsuit fails

Perchlorate suit fails
JURY'S RULING FOR COMPANY DISAPPOINTS HOMEOWNERS

By Paul Rogers
San Jose Mercury News (CA)
August 13, 2005

A federal jury on Friday rejected the claims of a group of South Santa
Clara County homeowners who said they suffered significant financial and
emotional damages after their drinking-water wells were contaminated
with perchlorate, a chemical found in road flares and rocket fuel.

After only a day of deliberation, the six-person jury in San Jose
district court found in favor of Olin, a Norwalk, Conn.- based company
that has taken responsibility for the pollution. The jury awarded no
money to the residents -- a precedent that could affect claims still
pending from scores of other homeowners.

"It encourages me that there is still justice in the justice system,"
said Rick McClure, Olin's project manager leading the cleanup. "Olin has
been a responsible corporate citizen. Our actions have shown that since
Day One."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/health/12375380.htm