2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Sep 2005 22:00:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Langley Air Force Base (VA) & encroachment

Other Voices: Action today will protect Langley tomorrow

Opinion, by Charlie Sapp
Hampton Roads Daily Press (VA)
September 3, 2005

If the recent events surrounding Oceana weren't the shot heard 'round the world, the boom certainly has been heard here in Hampton Roads. As a Navy pilot, I flew out of Naval Air Station Cecil Field from 1970 to 1976. In the context of the Cold War, that airfield was vital to national defense and its closure was literally unthinkable. Twenty years later Cecil Field was no more, and now Oceana faces the same fate. So, what are we to do about Langley Air Force Base?

It's a two-part problem: land use and military value.

Much has been rightly said about the shopping centers and the AMC cinema complex built immediately under the flight path. The city must tighten our zoning ordinances and stick to a Langley-friendly land use plan, no matter how enticing a future development deal looks. The policies we put in place now must have procedural safeguards built in. The military leadership at Langley must be actively involved in the city's land-use decisions when those decisions potentially encroach on flight operations. Finally, this can't just be a Hampton show, it must include the participation of all communities on the Peninsula.

For the entire column, see
http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-75562sy0sep03,0,5409512.story